Castor oil is a highly nutritional brown oil derived from the processing of castor(Ricinus Communis) seeds. It is used used for medicinal purposes because it contains antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s health benefits are numerous and as such, knowing how to make castor oil is of high importance.
Uses of Castor Oil
There are so many uses of castor oil and they are listed below;
- Castor oil is used in the production of some soaps and cream because it has the ability to heal inflamed skin, reduces aging and acne. It also moisturizes the skin, fade blemishes, prevent stretch marks and reduce pigmentation.
- Castor oil is used in making hair products because it promotes hair growth, treats scalp infection, prevents premature graying and serves as a hair conditional.
- Castor oil is a good natural remedy for treating ringworm and other infections.
- It can also be used to treat back pain and reduce joint pain/Arthritis. In addition, castor oil also boosts immunity.
Also Read:Best Natural Skin Bleaching Agents
Methods on How to Make Castor Oil
- Castor seeds.
- Frying pan.
- Cold press machine or a mortar and pestle.
- Plastic bottle for storage.
- First of all, get the castor seeds, remove the shells by hand or use a machine.
- Secondly, dry the seeds using sunlight or an oven for about 60°C for 7 hours. This is done to remove the moisture content of the seeds.
- After drying, place the seed on the frying pan and heat it up, ensure to stir it continuously while heating. This is known as roasting of the seeds. It is done to ease the grinding process.
- Next is to grind the seeds into paste. For commercial dealers, use a cold press machine but for those doing it at home, simply use a clean mortar and pestle but this is time consuming and requires lots of energy.
- Pour the paste into a pot, add water to it and heat it up.
- Allow it to boil for about 4-5 hours before stopping the heating process.
- Allow it to cool for more than 8 hours so the condiment can settle and the oil can float on top.
- Scoop the oil out and pour it in a plastic bottle for use and storage.
With the usefulness of castor oil, it is advisable for everybody to have it at home always and as seen above, the methods in making it are not too difficult.