Coconut oil is an edible oil extracted from matured coconut kernel. It is very rich in vitamin E and fatty acids and as a result, it has varieties of health benefits. Therefore, knowing these simple ways to make coconut oil is of utmost importance.
Uses of Coconut Oil
This versatile oil has so many uses in our homes, some of which are;
- Cooking: It is a great cooking oil with high smoke point. It is good for stir-frying, baking and can also be used in place of butter if you want to reduce your dairy consumption.
- Skin Care: Coconut oil is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. It is a good moisturizer and a deep cleanser, therefore it is a very effective night cream. It also treats stretch marks.
- For Hair: Coconut oil makes hair grow faster, longer and thicker. The nutrients and fatty acids found in coconut oil nourishes the scalp. Furthermore, coconut oil helps remove dandruff.
Ways to Make Coconut Oil
With the uses listed above, it is essential to know the simple ways to make coconut oil at the comfort of your home.
- 3 to 10 coconuts depending on the quantity of the oil you want.
- blender or grater.
- muslin cloth.
- brass vessel or pot.
- plastic bottle for storage.
- Break open the coconuts and pull out the flesh.
- Chop the flesh of the coconut into small pieces and blend it, ensure to add little water while blending. If you do not have a blender, you can grate the coconut flesh but this is time consuming.
- Extract the milk from the flesh by squeezing with your hand into the muslin cloth placed on top of a bowl.
- Sieve the extracted milk with the muslin cloth to remove any residue of coconut flesh or impurities.
- Place the milk on the brass vessels or pot and heat for 2 to 3 hours at low heat.
- Stir while heating until the milk becomes brownish in color.
- Then take it down and allow it to cool. Place the thick liquid on a muslin cloth and press the oil out into a bowl. Pour the oil in a plastic bottle for safe keeping.
This homemade coconut oil can last for more than 8 months if properly stored.