Turmeric face mask for acneTumeric is a flowering plants belonging to the ginger family. The plant is a native of Asia and the root is mostly used as a spice for cooking. Aside it being an active ingredient in curry cooking spice, it also has medicinal value. It is effective for treating chronic pain and inflammation. In general it has a healing power. But that’s not all, tumeric is also very beneficial to the skin hence it is an active ingredient in most skin care products. In this write-up, we will be talking about the general benefits and side effects of turmeric as well as the 4 best turmeric face mask for acne prone skin.
Benefits of Turmeric
Tumeric has numerous health benefits and these will be discussed below;
1). Anti-inflammatory property
The components curcumin present in turmeric makes it very effective for treating inflammation. Taken in the right dosage, tumeric can be extremely effective in treating diseases like arthritis, pancreatitis and bowel disease.
Read also:How to get your skin glowing naturally
2). May protect against heart disease
Curcumin present in turmeric may improve the health of the thin membrane that Shields the interior of the heart and blood vessels. This membrane is important for regulating blood pressure. A decrease in the function of this membrane can result to aging and an increase in heart disease. Therefore, tumeric may be able to protect the heart against diseases.
3). Antioxidant property
The antioxidant properties in tumeric makes it effective in protecting the body against damages caused by free radicals. Too much exposure to free radicals can lead to diseases such as cancer, arthritis and heart disease.
4). Antimicrobial property
Due to its antimicrobial property, turmeric may be able to treat a variety of skin infections such as eczema, photo-aging, acne etc.
5). Anti-aging supplement
Although there are no evidence to support the claim that tumeric directly increases lifespan, it’s anti-inflammatory properties suggests otherwise because it protects the body against free radicals, and potentially delay age-related diseases.
6). Prevention and treatment of cancer
The anti-inflammatory property in curcumin play an effective role in treating and preventing the spread and growth of tumor cells.
Side Effects of Turmeric
- Turmeric is considered safe when ingested in the right dosage over a short period of time. Products that contains about 8 grams of curcumin seems safe when taken daily for a period of two months. Nonetheless, turmeric might cause minor effects such as; nausea, stomach upsets, diarrhoea and dizziness when taken at a higher dosage over a longer period of time.
- When applied to the skin, turmeric is considered safe but then it is necessary to run a skin patch test before using any products on your skin be it organic or otherwise. To carry out the test, take the products you intend to use and apply a small portion of it to a small part of your arm, watch it for a day to observe any if there is any reaction like; itching, irritation or redness. If none of these symptoms appear on your skin, then that product is safe for your skin and you can go ahead to use it.
- Turmeric is also safe when used in the mouth as mouthwash.
- Turmeric is considered safe when ingested through food during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, it is likely unsafe when taken in medicinal amounts during pregnancy. It has the potential of inducing menstruation or stimulating the uterus and that can put the pregnancy in danger. So avoid taking medicinal amounts of turmeric during pregnancy. Currently, there is no concrete information about the effect of medicinal amount during breastfeeding, but it is safer to avoid it all together.
4 Best Turmeric Face Mask for Acne
Turmeric is mainly mixed with other ingredients in specific proportions into face masks for treatment of different skin problems.
Note: Be careful when using turmeric because it can easily stay in your body or clothes. Ensure to mix all ingredients carefully in a small bowl or cup and apply them neatly on your face.
Also read:How to Make Skin Glow Black Soap at Home
1). Turmeric Face Mask For Treatment of Acne
- 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon of rice flour
- 2 tablespoons of yoghurt or milk
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Warm water
- Mix the turmeric powder with the rice flour
- Add the yoghurt or milk to it and mix together
- Add honey to the mixture and apply it on your face
- Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes and rinse off with regular face cleanser
- Apply a moisturizer to your face afterwards.
- Mix the turmeric powder alone with honey
- Apply the paste on your face and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes
- Rinse it off with warm water and pat your face dry.
2). Turmeric Face Mask For Wrinkle
- 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons of yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and apply it on your face
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse off with cool water
- Apply a sunscreen if you intend going out because lemon juice makes your face photosensitive.
3). Turmeric Face Mask For Skin Irritation
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon of rosewater.
- Mix all ingredients together and apply it on your face
- Leave it to dry for 10 minutes and rinse off
Note: The mixture will be somewhat runny, so apply it with caution to avoid spilling it all over your body.
Read also:How to know your skin tone
4). For Use as Antioxidant
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons of rice flour
- 1 tablespoon of almond oil
- 3 tablespoons of milk.
- Mix all ingredients together until it’s smooth and creamy
- Apply the mixture on your face and leave it for 15 minutes
- Rinse it off afterwards.
Causes of Acne
When we talk about acne, we are referring to things like whiteheads, blackheads, pimples, cyst and nudules. Despite the fact that there are purely natural and safe methods of treating acne, knowing the things that causes acne can help us to better prevent or avoid them. The following are general causes of acne;
- Menstrual cycle
- Hot and humid climates
- Using oil-based makeup
- Squeezing of pimples.
Although some of the causes are purely natural and beyond human control, others are things we can control or avoid. We should ensure to get enough rest and avoid stressful situations, calmness is also very important as anxiety can cause acne. Try your best to stay hydrated always and away from the hot environments. Know your skin type and use makeup products that are best suitable for your skin. For those with oily skin, avoid eating too much fried food and meals that contain so much oil because this can increase the possibility of you having acne. And lastly, stop the habit of squeezing pimples on your face because it leaves ugly scars and dark spots on your face.
I always recommend using purely organic and natural remedies for skin problems because they have little to no side effects, and they are well known for producing amazing results. The above listed turmeric face mask recipes for acne and other skin related problems are a go-to remedy for a healthy and glowing skin.
Did you try any of the recipes? Tell us about your experience down below in the comment section.