A healthy skin has that natural glow but there are regular unhealthy practices we carry out almost daily that can affect the look on our skin. Some of such practices includes but not limited to; lack of adequate sleep, stress, hectic work style, non nutritious diet, excessive drinking of alcohol, exposure to harmful sun rays, pollution and too much smoking. Despite the fact that these habits cannot be completely avoided they can be managed to a minimal level but that alone will not give us the glow we require. This is where home made remedies and preventive measures come in place because they will get your skin glowing naturally with no side effects. This article focuses on these simple home made recipes for a healthy glowing skin. Continue reading to know more.
Listed below our domain content of this write-up:
- Simple home made recipes to get your skin glowing naturally
- Regular practices for glowing skin
- The right diet for skin glow
- Easy but effective exercise for a healthy and glowing skin
Simple home made recipes to get your skin glowing naturally
Below is a list of natural ingredients for healthy and glowing skin and how to use them
1). Coconut oil
This method is most suitable for dry skin. Coconut oil has the ability to lock moisture in the skin thereby keeping the skin moisturized. It also nourishes the skin with fatty acids and protect it from UV radiation.
- Pure natural coconut oil
- Slightly warm up the coconut oil and apply it on your face and neck.
- Massage it into your skin in a gentle circular motion for 3 minutes and leave it overnight. Do this daily before bedtime.
- It can also be used as a face scrub. Just mix coconut oil with sugar and use it to exfoliate once or twice weekly.
2). Lemon juice and sugar
Lemon juice is rich in vitamin c which bleaches the skin and removes tan thereby making the skin appear brighter. Sugar provide exfoliating effects to help remove dead skin cells.
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Mix the sugar and lemon juice together.
- Apply the mixture on your face and scrub in a circular motion.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse off with warm water
- Repeat this twice weekly and apply a sunscreen if you intend to go out because lemon juice may make your skin photosensitive.
Cucumber has the ability to renew and rejuvenate dull skin with it antioxidants property. It also reduces swelling and enhances complexion.
- 1 cucumber
- 3 tablespoons of yoghurt
- Grate the cucumber and add the yoghurt to it.
- Apply the mixture on your face and neck
- Leave it for 5 minutes and rinse of with cool water.
- Do this twice weekly.
4). Aloe vera gel
This is known for it’s nourishing and healing properties. It can rejuvenate the skin and make it glow naturally.
- 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of milk
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- Take a bowl and mix all the ingredients together to form a paste
- Apply the mixture to your face and neck and leave it on for 20 minutes
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this once or twice weekly.
5). Tumeric powder
Tumeric is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. It destroys free radicals that are harmful so the skin and improves the production of collagen which keeps the skin flexible and glowing.
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Milk or water
- 4 tablespoons of gram flour (chickpea flour)
- Take a bowl and mix the tumeric and gram powder together
- Add milk or water to it and mix together to form a paste
- apply the paste on your face and neck and leave it for 15 minutes
- rinse off with plain water and repeat this method once or twice weekly.
6). Baking soda
This has antibacterial properties which can prevent infection. It is also very effective for exfoliating dead skin cells and neutralizing the pH of the skin.
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Half teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Mix the baking soda honey and olive oil in a small bowl or cup
- Wash your face and neck and pat it a little so it can remain damp
- Apply the mixture on your damp face and neck in a circular motion
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse off with cool water
- Pat your face dry and apply moisturizer
- Repeat this once every week
Note: before you do this on your skin, test to know if baking soda is suitable for your skin by applying it on a small part of your arm. If you do not feel any irritation then it is good for your skin and you can go on with the procedure.
Read also:Natural Home Remedies for Oily Skin
Ripe pawpaw contains papain which acts as a mald exfoliant. It gently removes the top layer of dead skin cells on the face and makes it look radiant and younger.
- Ripe pawpaw
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of fuller’s earth (multani mitti)
- Take few pieces of ripe pawpaw and mash them together in a bowl
- Add the fuller’s earth and honey to it and mix them to form a paste
- Apply the mixture on your face and neck and leave it for 20 minutes
- Rinse off with cool water and repeat this process once weekly
Honey moisturizes the skin, prevent wrinkles formation and keeps the skin looking younger. It also has a soothing effect.
- Wash your face and neck and let it be damp
- Applying honey on your clean damp face and neck
- Massage it for 3 minutes and leave it on for 5 minutes
- Wash off with lukewarm water. You can do this three to four times in a week.
9). Olive oil
This is a very effective moisturizer. It also adds a shine to the skin. Property is present in it prevent the skin from free radicals and damage. It repairs the skin and makes it glow.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Warm water
- A soft towel
- place few drops of olive oil on your face and neck using your fingertip
- Massage in a circular motion for 2 minutes
- dip the towel in warm water and place it on your face for 30 seconds
- dip the towel again in the warm water and wipe your face with it
- Pat your face dry with a paper towel. Repeat this every night before bedtime.
10). Rose water
This is a well-known skin toner. It cleanses and brightens the skin tone and also refreshes the skin. It is effective for balancing the pH of the skin.
- Rose water
- Cotton ball (cotton wool)
- Refrigerate rose water for 30 minutes
- Dab the cotton ball in it and apply it all over your face and neck
- Do it twice daily.
Read also:Best Natural Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Regular practices to get a glowing skin
As we already know, they are normal everyday things we can and should do to keep our skin healthy. These include:
1). Drinking of water
Aside our skin, water is good for our overall health. It is recommended to drink 10 to 12 glasses of water daily to help flush out toxins from our system. The skin also needs enough water to stay hydrated and soft. Lack of adequate water makes the skin look dull and dry.
Exfoliation removes dead cells from the skin thereby encouraging the production of new and healthy cells. It also improves the rate of blood circulation making the skin soft and smooth. You should exfoliate at least two times every week. Ensure to use a mild scrubbing product on your face, know your skin type and use gentle products for pimples and acne prone skin to avoid further breakouts by scrubbing sensitive areas. Always remember to use a moisturizer afterwards.
3). Regular use of moisturizers
Extra tender care should be given to the skin on the face, ear and neck because they are very sensitive to environmental factors and UV rays. These areas should be regularly moisturized so that the skin cells can repair and regrow.
4). Avoid smoking
As we already know there are some habits that are generally unhealthy. Smoking tobacco, drinking alcohol and using drugs not only lead to serious health problems but they also affect the health and glow of the skin. So if you desire a glowing skin, you need to quit or at least reduce to minimal those bad habits.
5). Regular cleansing
It is necessary to adopt a regular cleansing routine to help remove dirt that have settled on the skin during the day. For your face, it is advisable to use a cleanser or face wash appropriate for your skin type instead of using soap. Soaps usually contain harsh chemicals that can remove moisture from the skin and make it dry.
6). Get adequate sleep
Getting enough sleep is very necessary because during that time, our body repairs damaged cells and replenishes the old ones. It is recommended to get at least 8 hours of sleep daily. This will improve our health, refreshes our mind and give us that glowing beautiful skin.
7). Remove makeup completely
Sleeping with makeup on clogs pores which in turn leads to pimples and makes the appearance of the skin dull. Ensure to remove all traces of makeup with an alcohol-free cleanser before going to bed.
8). Check for chemicals
When buying skin care products like lotion, soap and sunscreen, look at the list of active ingredients in the products. Buy products with natural oils like coconut oil, olive oil, carrot oil, tea tree oil, almond oil, etc and avoid products that contains chemicals like sulfates.
9). Discard expired products
I know sometimes we can be low on cash but that does not mean we should use expired skin care products. Please throw them away once they have reached their expiration date. Also, check for the expiration dates of products before you buy them so you don’t waste money on things you cannot use. It is advisable not to share your cosmetic products as this might lead to contamination and make them unsafe for you to use.
Read also:How to know your skin tone
Diet for skin glow
A balanced and complete diet keeps the body healthy and the skin glowing. Below is a list of necessary foods that should be included in your diet for a glowing skin.
1). List of fruits for a glowing and healthy skin
- Mangoes etc.
2). List of vegetables for a glowing skin
- Bell pepper
- Spinach and other green leafy vegetables.
Effective exercise for a healthy and glowing skin
1). Regular exercises
Do regular exercises like; walking, dancing, jogging, cycling etc. to attain a glowing skin. During exercise, the body receives a lot of oxygen while breathing heavily. oxygen is important for fighting the formation of free radicals that results to aging and dull skin. Aside that, exercise makes the body fit and healthy. In addition, exercise burns excess calories and improves the circulation of blood.
This is one natural way to keep the body and mind healthy. Firstly, learn yoga from a certified instructor, then practice some inverted poses. It is believed that those poses help control aging and maintain a healthy glow by inducing circulation and relaxation of the muscles.
The combination of a proper skincare routine, healthy and nutritious diet and regular exercises go a long way to give you that radiant skin glow. But remember, natural means are usually slow so they require your patience and consistency. You can also contact a dermatologist if you are not sure of the method to follow and you need proper direction.