Almond oil is rich in vitamins and minerals, it has varieties of health benefits. It is good for skin care, hair care and overall health care. It is used for cooking and a large number of cosmetic products. The process on how to make almond oil is very cheap and easy and as such, it is pertinent for all household to own a bottle of it.
Benefits of Almond Oil
Almond oil is packed with so many benefits for health, skin and even hair. Some of those benefits are listed below;
- It is effective for skin lightening
- It boosts cardiovascular health, it protects the heart
- Improves learning abilities.
- Promotes weight loss
- Effective for treating dandruff
- It has the ability to promote rectal and digestive health.
- Particularly effective for good hair care.
- It aids in the treatment of diabetes.
- Can treats ear infections
- It is efficient in aromatherapy
- Almond oil is effective in reducing swollen eyes and dark circles
- It improves the hardness of nails
How to Make Almond Oil
There are two methods of making almond oil;
- Blending almond with olive oil
- Oil press method
- A blender
- Two cups of raw almonds
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Jar or plastic container
- Pour the freshly dried almond nuts(with their skin on) in a blender.
- Blend the almond nuts starting with low speed, and gradually increase the speed as it blends further.
- Add olive oil whenever you notice the paste is too thick and continue blending.
- After getting an even blend, scoop it out and put it in a jar or container.
- Leave it to sit for two weeks, at this time, the almond oil will be floating at the top.
- Using a strainer, drain out the oil.
- Pour it in a bottle and store it at room temperature. It is ready for use.
Read Also;How to Make Skin Whitening Soap at Home
This method is cost effective because no special equipment is needed and it can be done right at your home. The oil gotten through this method also retain all it’s nutrients due to the fact that almond nuts were not roasted. The only constraint is, it is time consuming and the olive oil used might not be good for everybody’s skin.
- Oil press machine
- Two cups of roasted almond nut
- Storage bottle
- Set up the oil press machine on a horizontal surface and place a container under it to collect the almond oil.
- Pour the almond nuts on the funnel looking part of the machine.
- Manually turn the lever of the machine(the handle looking part).
- While turning the lever, oil comes out and it is collected in the container placed under the press machine.
- Leave the collected oil to stand for 12 hours so you can get a clearer oil. Pour it in your storage bottles and it is ready to use.
This method saves time but it requires energy when you turn the lever. The extraction process does not require a carrier oil, hence the result is very pure. Another thing to note is, the roasting process of the nuts may have reduced their nutrients content.