People generally know what the guava fruit can do to health but not all of them are aware of the benefits of guava leaves. Fact is even guava leaves have several medicinal properties and health benefits.
Guava leaves are essential for our well being, fresh guava leaves can be brewed to make a magical tea. These leaves are packed with antioxidants like vitamins, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial compounds. They also have tannins, which makes them natural pain reliever. Chemicals in the leaves such as carotenoids, polyphenols, tannins, and flavonoids are particularly effective in treating several diseases. Guava leaves also contains healthy fibers, potassium and lycopene.
Benefits of Guava Leaves
For General Health
Helps in Weight Loss
If losing weight is something you hope to achieve, then guava leaves can give you a helping hand in attaining that. Guava leaves works by inhibiting the complex starches from turning into sugars, thereby suppressing your appetite. You can make your weight loss quicker by eating less calories. Drink fresh Guava leaves tea for more effective results.
Boost Sperm Production
Guava leaves are perfect remedies for people with low sperm count. It has been proven to be effective in increasing sperm count without side effects.
For sperm boosting;
- Get good amount of guava leaves and carrots.
- Wash them and slice the carrots
- place the carrots at the base of your pot and add the guava leaves on top the carrots.
- Add water and boil till it is properly done.
- Take a glass cup of the tea morning and night.
- Try to abstain from sex during this period to allow for proper boosting. Drink the mixture for a week and rest for the next week before continuing the treatment.
It balances female hormones
Mixing guava leaves and ginger can remedy hormonal imbalance in women.
- Take dry or fresh guava leaves, add half tea spoon of ginger powder or fresh grated ginger root.
- Mix properly and allow to simmer for about 2 minutes and sip. Drink this mixture twice daily .
Good for Treating Diabetics
Guava leaf tea is very effectively in lowering blood sugar level by reducing the alpha-glucosidase enzyme activity, according to a study conducted by Yakult Central Institute in Japan. It also prevents the absorption of maltose and sucrose by the body, thereby reducing blood sugar level without increasing your insulin production.
Guava leaves are good for the liver. Research has proven that drinking guava leaf tea for 3 months lowers the risk of cardiovascular diseases by reducing your LDL cholesterol and triglycerides without having adverse effect on your HDL.
Treatment of Diarrhea and Dysentery
Guava leaves are very effective for treating dysentery and diarrhea. Boil 30 grams of guava leaves in 1-2 glasses of water and add 2 tablespoon of rice flour to make a concoction. Drink this twice daily until symptoms subside. For dysentery, boil the leaves of guava for 20 minutes. Strain the water and drink the tea moderately until you feel relieved.
Treatment of Bronchitis
Guava leaf is very effective for treating bronchitis by melting mucus, opening up the lungs, and causing a soothing relief from cough.
For Prostate Cancer
Studies show that guava leaves are effective in preventing prostate enlargement and prostate cancer.
Treatment of Wounds and Infections
The antibacterial properties of guava leaves makes it effective for treating wounds. Guava leaves prevent the spread of infection and reduce inflammation thereby resulting to fast healing.
Guava Leaves Benefits For Skin
Guava leaves are essential for skincare, they can greatly help in improving the skin and treatment of various skin disorders. Below are the benefits of guava leaves for the skin.
Treatment of Acne and Black spots
Guava leave are rich in antiseptic compounds, these compounds kill acne-causing bacteria, this helps in getting rid of black spots and acne. Take some guava leaves, mash them and apply it directly to the affected area and leave it for 30 minutes and rinse off with warm water. Do this daily to attain a clearer skin.
Removal of Blackheads
Blend guava leaves with small amount of water. Apply the paste on your nose to remove blackheads.
The active anti-oxidants contained in the guava leaves fight off free radicals that cause damage to our skin. It protects the skin from aging, improves skin tone and texture as well.
Guava leaves serves as cure for itching because they contain compounds that block allergy.
Guava Leaves Benefits For Hair
Guava leaf is rich in nutrients and antioxidants, these properties makes it efficient in promoting healthy hair growth.
Prevention and Treatment of Hair Loss
Hair breakage is something no one likes, but do not worry about it, guava leaves got it covered.
- Boil a handful of guava leaves in 1 liter of water for about 20 minutes.
- Let it cool and apply it on your scalp and massage it carefully.
- Rinse with water after 10 minutes.
- Do this procedure daily until you see visible results.
- Massaging your scalp with this solution will allow regeneration of hair and also prevent any further hair loss.
- Grind guava leaves to a paste and rub into the roots of hair and leave it for about 1 hour and wash off.
- Do this process 3 to 4 times in a week.
How to Brew Guava Leaves as Traditional Medicine
- Take guava leaves and wash them.
- Boil the guava leaves with 1 liter water.
- After it boils, strain it and drink the tea.
- Also, you can add honey to make it perfect.
- Drink 100 ml of the tea (recommended) once in two days.
- Also, drinking it regularly may bring benefits to overall health.
How to Make Guava Leaves Tea
Below are the steps to make guava tea :
- Dry some guava leaves, crush them into powder.
- Place one tablespoon of guava leaves in a cup of hot water.
- Allow it brew for 5 minutes then strain it.
- Drink this tea at least once daily.
All these listed above are the benefits of guava leaves. It can be seen that guava leaf is a cheap method of attaining good health. Ensure to make good use of this information and stay healthy always.