Babies have sensitive skin. The tender skin can be maintained and nourished by using paraben free healthy natural substances extracted from plants that treats skin irritations such as rashes. This article will be focused on how to make baby lotion naturally that will be safe for babies tender skin.
How to Make Baby Lotion
- Shea butter: Shea butter nourishes the skin with Vitamins A, E and F. Vitamins A and E maintain the skin and keep it clear and healthy. The healing fraction of shea butter ranges from 5 % to 17 % compared to seed oils with healing fraction of about 1%.
- Honey: cleans and nourishes the skin.
- Almond Oil: almond oil is suitable for sensitive baby skin. It also contains vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and E. It nourishes and enriches the skin.
- Lavender essential oil: This is the best healing essential oil. It heals wound quickly, it is therapeutic, adults can run it on their temples to relief from headache. Lavender oil removes blemishes (patches on the skin). It calms and soothes the skin.
- Bee wax pellet: It protects the skin and binds the other ingredients together.
- Vitamin E: nourishes and repairs the skin.
- Cocoa butter: nourishes the skin and clears spots.
- Coconut oil
Also Read:Simple Ways to Make Coconut Oil
- Pots: One medium pot. The process for making lotion is a double boiler method. The pot is needed to act as an interphase between the heat and the main container carrying the content.
- Measuring scale: get a measuring gauge or measure with your eyes.
- Blender: it is needed to mix thoroughly.
- Spoons: to stir, you can use kitchen turner’s too.
- Airtight containers: plastic or bottle is okay. It is for storing your lotion.
Method 1 (without double boiler)
- Add 20ml almond oil and 30ml of coconut oil to your bee wax in a small pot, call it mixture 1
- Place mixture 1 over medium heat till beeswax totally melts. The mixture will turn into liquid.
- Leave mixture 1 to cool down for about 20-30 minutes.
- Pour 30ml of lavender oil in a bowl, add three capsules of vitamin E. Note, the vitamin E capsule content is what is needed, open the capsule then pour in the content and stir, call it mixture 2
- Pour Mixture 2 into the cooled Mixture 1. Stir as you mix. Call this mixture Y
- Pour mixture Y into a blender. Blend till it is smooth. Then scoop into your airtight container.
You can use your food blender. Make sure it is pepper free. Wash your blender thoroughly, you can blend fruits to remove the pepper smell before using it.
You can decide to thicken your content, by melting more wax. You can make it lighter texture by adding more oil.
Read Also:How to Make Face and Body Scrub
Method 2 (double boiler method)
- Place your medium pot with water (¼ or ½ filled) on the stove.
- In a glass, plastic or metal bowl, add Shea butter or cocoa butter, add 20ml-40ml of almond oil, 20ml of honey, and 20ml of coconut oil . Marsh the butter into the oil.
- Place the bowl containing the mixture inside the pot with boiling water in step 1.
- Do not let the water get into the content. Keep marshing the butter into the oil, till it totally melts.
- Keep stirring. Remove the bowl when all contents turns liquid.
- Leave the mixture to cool down.
- Add 10 ml of lavender oil or rose oil to the cool mixture.
You can blend or scoop your cooled mixture inside your airtight container.
Note: Blending is compulsory when you add beeswax pellet to the mixture.
We spend money on expensive chemicals, that are clinically okay but not baby safe. With ₦6,000 you can buy all the things needed to make at least three 250g baby lotion for your baby.