Pink lips are very attractive and appealing to the eyes. They not only improve our beauty but also indicate that our lips are healthy. These simple natural ways to get pink lips are all you need to lighten chapped or dark pigmented lips.
Causes of dark lips
Below are few causes or regular practices done by people that results to dark lips;
- Too much exposure to sunlight
- Consistent use of cosmetic products
- Lifestyle habits
- Caffeine consumption
Natural ways to get pink lips
There are series of practices that when regularly carried out can prevent dark lips as well as lightening of already dark lips.
Moisturising: Soft pink lips requires consistent moisturising. Always apply lip balm during the day and apply Vaseline at night. This practice is especially important during hot seasons when lips are prone to dryness and cracking. Alternatively, you can use olive or coconut oil.
Soft brushing of lips with toothbrush: This is one of the easiest and best methods of exfoliating your lips. It leaves your lips smooth, soft and of course, pink. After brushing your teeth, wash your toothbrush and softly brush your lips with it in a circular motion. This method also improves blood circulation thereby making your lips healthier.
Washing off makeup: Some people have the habit of sleeping with their makeup on, this is not just bad for your lips but also your facial skin. Ensure to thoroughly wash off your make up before going to bed. You can use a makeup remover or dab cotton wool in olive or coconut oil and use as your makeup remover.
Stay hydrated: As earlier stated, moisturising is a necessity for soft pink lips. You not only need to apply balm for moisturising of your lips but you also have to drink lots of water. Drink up to 8 glasses of water daily. It is also good for your general health.
Stop Smoking: Residue of tobacco in cigarettes remains on the lips thereby making them dark and unhealthy. Avoid smoking and practice more of the healthy methods outlined in the article.
Avoid licking of lips: It may seem like licking your dry lips helps you keep them wet but the reverse is actually the case. Licking your lips takes out whatever oil on the lips and leaves it wet with saliva that dries up quickly thereby making the lips dryer and chapped. Instead of licking, apply balm. Try to always have a small lip balm with you.
Also Read:How to Make Face and Body Scrub
Natural recipes for pink lips
Sugar is a good exfoliant. You can either use white or brown sugar but brown sugar is gentle on skin and it is rich in antioxidants that protects the lips from UV damage caused by sunlight.
Honey naturally attracts moisture which helps to keep the lips hydrated and healthy. Honey also helps lighten the skin tone of the lips.
- Add one tablespoon of sugar(white or brown) to a bowl or container.
- Add one tablespoon of honey to the sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Apply the scrub mixture to your lips using your finger and massage gently for one minute.
- Leave the mixture on your lip for two minutes and wash off with water.
- Do this two or three times weekly, you will see results.
Lemon and sugar
Lemon is a natural bleaching agent while sugar is a good exfoliant. The mixture of both lightens the dark shade of lips thereby making it look pink.
Note: the acidic nature of lemon makes it not perfect for all skin types, so be observant, if you feel any irritation while using this method, stop it immediately and use any other listed method.
- Cut a thin slice of lemon
- Sprinkle small amount of sugar(white or brown) on it
- Gently rub the slice on your lips for one minute.
- Do this at least once in three days. You will notice your lips getting lighter.
Tumeric and milk
The mixture of tumeric powder and milk helps remove discolouration from lips and returns it to it’s natural pink colour.
- Add one teaspoon of tumeric powder in a bowl
- Add few drops of liquid milk and mix it to get a paste
- Apply the paste on your lips and leave it for six minutes
- Wash off with plain water and apply lip balm to avoid dryness.
- Repeat this process once every three days.
Read Also:How to Make Baby Lotion
Lemon and almond oil
As earlier stated, lemon is a natural bleach and skin toner while almond oil hydrates and even the skin tone.
- Squeeze the juice from one lemon into a bowl.
- Add two tablespoon of almond oil to it and mix thoroughly.
- Take a little of the mixture and massage on your lips. For quicker result, you can leave the mixture on your lips overnight.
- Do this daily, in three weeks you will start noticing significant changes.
Pomegranate seed and milk
Pomegranate contains a compound called punicalagin which alters the production of melanin and also prevent the lips from getting dark due to sunlight.
- Take a small portion; like a handful of pomegranate seed and grind them.
- Mix the grinded seed with liquid milk.
- Apply the mixture on your lips and leave it for twenty minutes. Wash off with cold water.
- Repeat this process daily and you will see changes before one month.
Beetroot is a natural dye that give a temporary pink colour when it is consumed or used.
- Pour one tablespoon of beetroot juice in a bowl.
- Add one tablespoon of honey and mix together.
- Apply the mixture on your lips and leave it overnight.
- Do this daily and in one week you will notice your lips becoming pink.
All these methods can be used by both male and female.
Note: that much cannot be done for those with hereditary dark lips, these methods will work but might not totally clear up the dark lips.