Lemon oil is a natural oil extracted from lemon peels through infusion process. It contains antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-fungal and many other properties. This multi-purpose oil can be made locally at home and i have written a full article on the process of making it. This article is focused on the full benefits of lemon oil and how to use it.
The benefits of lemon oil ranges from health to skin to hair. In short, lemon oil should be part of our everyday lives.
Benefits of Lemon Oil and How to Use It
Benefits on Skin
Lemon oil is one of the best essential oils and it effects on skin cannot be overemphasized. Below are the great benefits of lemon oil on the skin.
- Treatment of acne.
- Removal of cellulite.
- Prevention of premature aging.
- Lemon oil aids in skin lightening.
- Reduction of excess skin oiliness.
- Remove or clears skin patches.
- Removes blackheads.
How to apply lemon oil on the skin
1. Treatment of acne:
- Add 2 drops of lemon oil in a container and mix it with 10 drops of coconut oil.
- Wash face with lukewarm water, dry face with a towel and gently apply the mixture.
- Leave it on the face for 25 minutes and wash off with water.
2. Removal of cellulite:
- Add 10 drops of lemon oil in a container and pour in 1/4 cup of almond oil and mix together.
- Apply the mixture on the affected areas and let it dry for 25 minutes, afterwards wash off with water.
3. Prevention of premature aging:
- Mix 5 drops of lemon oil with 1 tablespoon of olive or jojoba oil.
- Apply the mixture on your face and let it dry for 20 minutes, afterwhich wash off with water.
4. Skin lightening:
- Add 3 drops of lemon oil in a container and add 1/2 teaspoon of almond oil.
- Furthermore, add 1 tablespoon of baking soda and mix with little water then stir to form a solution.
- Wash the skin and apply the solution gently.
- Leave it to dry on the skin for 25 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
5. Reducing skin oiliness:
- Pour 1/4 cup of clean water in a bowl, add 10 drops of lemon oil, 2 drops of jojoba oil and stir.
- Wash the face with either cold or warm water and apply the mixture gently on the face. Ensure not to rub tightly to avoid the swelling of the large open pores.
- Leave it for 10 minutes and rinse the face with cold or warm water.
6. Removal of skin patches:
- Add 10 drops of lemon oil to 10ml of glycerin.
- Rinse the affected areas and apply the mixture using cotton wool or dry towel.
- Allow it dry for 20 minutes and rinse off with water.
7. Removal of blackheads:
- Mix 1 drop of lemon oil with 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Rub the mixed paste on your blackheads and wash off after 10 minutes.
Other Benefits of Lemon oil
1. Controls greasy hair:
- Add 2 egg white in a bowl and add 4 drops of lemon oil. Whisk properly and carefully apply the mixture to hair.
- Cover hair with shower cap and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Thoroughly rinse off with cold water and wash hair with sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.
2. Lemon oil used as a deodorant:
- Make a mixture of 7 drops of lemon oil, 1/2 teaspoon of himalayan sea salt and 1 teaspoon of witch hazel.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and use as your deodorant.
3. Treats bad breath:
- Get 1/2 cup of water, add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 3 drops of lemon oil to the water.
- Mix it together and pour in your mouth, swish it for about a minute and spit it out.
Precautions to take when using Lemon oil
- Before using lemon oil on skin, test to know if your skin is allergic to it. Apply little amount of lemon oil on your wrist or elbow, if you feel itchy, irritated or notice redness on the skin, then avoid using lemon oil on your skin.
- When using lemon oil on the skin, avoid exposure to sunlight because lemon oil contains photosensitive properties.
- Do not use lemon oil during pregnancy or nursing period.
- Individuals that suffer from allergies should seek advice from doctors before using lemon oil on skin.
- Lemon oil is highly concentrated essential and should not be used without diluting in water or a carrier oil.
- Do not ingest lemon oil directly.
- Do not apply lemon oil on the eyes because it causes irritation.